Related News

Ireland will not participate in Eurovision if Israel is allowed to take part

Ireland will not participate in Eurovision if Israel is allowed to take part

September 11, 2025
Andy Burnham’s bid to return as MP blocked

Andy Burnham’s bid to return as MP blocked

January 25, 2026
Were it not for the upcoming budget, interest rates could have been cut

Were it not for the upcoming budget, interest rates could have been cut

November 6, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

Related News

Ireland will not participate in Eurovision if Israel is allowed to take part

Ireland will not participate in Eurovision if Israel is allowed to take part

September 11, 2025
Andy Burnham’s bid to return as MP blocked

Andy Burnham’s bid to return as MP blocked

January 25, 2026
Were it not for the upcoming budget, interest rates could have been cut

Were it not for the upcoming budget, interest rates could have been cut

November 6, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
CONTRIBUTE
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Syria acknowledges widespread escapes from camp which housed thousands of ISIS-linked women

Sarah Taylor by Sarah Taylor
February 17, 2026
in Breaking News, World
0
Syria acknowledges widespread escapes from camp which housed thousands of ISIS-linked women
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A Syrian government official told Sky News al Hol camp in northeastern Syria is now largely emptied, acknowledging that escapes continued after the state took control of the site.

You might also like

Jesse Jackson built on Martin Luther King’s legacy and never forgot the hardships that shaped his life

BGT dancer told accuser she would take her own life if complaint made, inquest hears

Irishman held in ‘filthy’ ICE facility given reprieve from deportation

Al Hol has for years housed tens of thousands of women and children linked to suspected ISIS fighters, as well as Syrians and Iraqis displaced by the war.

The camp, previously run by Kurdish-led authorities, was taken over by the Syrian government last month as Damascus expanded its control in the area.

“Families escaped while we were present because the camp is large and the smuggling routes are very varied,” said Fadi al Qassem, the Syrian foreign ministry’s representative for al Hol camp administration.

He said the camp was already largely emptied of residents by the time Syrian forces arrived, with guards gone and gates open, and that authorities then struggled to prevent further departures.

Mr al Qassem said the government inherited unreliable population records and long-standing smuggling networks, making it difficult to establish who was present when the Syrian army took over the site.

He said officials found evidence of forged documentation, with families using multiple registration cards that belonged to people who had already left illegally.

US strikes dozens of Islamic State targets in Syria in retaliation for deadly ambush

US military completes transfer of thousands of Islamic State detainees from Syria to Iraq

US moves 150 Islamic State prisoners out of Syria with thousands more to follow

He added that authorities were trying to trace those who left outside official channels, using records from international partners, including the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR).

Syria says camp no longer viable

The agency said on Sunday it had observed a significant decrease in the number of residents at al Hol in recent weeks.

Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR representative based in Syria, said local authorities had informed the agency of plans to relocate remaining families and had asked for its support to assist people in the new camps, which the agency said it was ready to provide.

Read more:
Fighting near Syrian prisons holding ISIS exremists day after Kurdish ceasefire
Australia’s PM refuses to accept ISIS-linked families from Syria

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

The government plans to fully empty the camp and is transferring remaining families to sites in Akhtarin and Jarabulus in northern Aleppo province, near the Turkish border, where container units and concrete shelters are already in place, Mr al Qassem said.

He added that most of those being moved are women and children and that rehabilitation and social integration programmes are planned.

He said officials concluded al Hol was no longer viable and would not be restored, citing extensive damage and the high cost of rehabilitation.

The first convoy left earlier this week in coordination with Syria’s emergency ministry and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, with 10 buses and 35 trucks deployed, and further transfers planned.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

‘It’s the language of extremists’

Former Kurdish staff members who worked at al Hol said the rapid emptying of the camp had raised serious security concerns.

Jihan Hanan, who ran al Hol camp for four years until its takeover by Damascus last month, said the lack of any clear tracking of those who have left the camp was particularly worrying.

“When I saw videos showing large parts of al Hol empty, I was alarmed,” she said. Her last official figures, from 19 January, put the camp’s population at around 23,000 people.

She added that a video circulating online showed a former resident threatening her by name from inside what appears to be her burned and vandalised former office, vowing to track her down and warning others who had worked at the camp.

“This has created real fear for me and my children,” Ms Hanan said. “This is the language they used against us all the time. It’s the language of extremists.”

Many former residents blamed camp staff for their detention, she added, and more than 1,000 civilian and humanitarian workers who had run al Hol over the years now feared reprisals.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

Recommended For You

Jesse Jackson built on Martin Luther King’s legacy and never forgot the hardships that shaped his life

by Sarah Taylor
February 17, 2026
0
Jesse Jackson built on Martin Luther King’s legacy and never forgot the hardships that shaped his life

Jesse Jackson was never just a politician. He was a presence.

Read more

BGT dancer told accuser she would take her own life if complaint made, inquest hears

by Sarah Taylor
February 17, 2026
0
BGT dancer told accuser she would take her own life if complaint made, inquest hears

A Britain's Got Talent dancer who was found dead at home had earlier spoken of taking her own life if a sex offence allegation against her became known,...

Read more

Irishman held in ‘filthy’ ICE facility given reprieve from deportation

by Sarah Taylor
February 17, 2026
0
Irishman held in ‘filthy’ ICE facility given reprieve from deportation

An Irishman who has been held in a US immigration facility for five months has received a 10-day reprieve on his potential deportation.

Read more

Jesse Jackson obituary: The civil rights activist who sowed the seeds of possibility

by Sarah Taylor
February 17, 2026
0
Jesse Jackson obituary: The civil rights activist who sowed the seeds of possibility

"Keep hope alive". This was Jesse Jackson's message, delivered at the end of his famous 1988 speech at the Democratic National Convention in Atlanta, his second campaign for...

Read more

PM warns ‘public health isn’t a culture war’ after measles outbreak

by Sarah Taylor
February 17, 2026
0
PM warns ‘public health isn’t a culture war’ after measles outbreak

Sir Keir Starmer warned "public health isn't a culture war" and urged parents to check their children are up to date with vaccinations after a measles outbreak.

Read more
Next Post
Jesse Jackson built on Martin Luther King’s legacy and never forgot the hardships that shaped his life

Jesse Jackson built on Martin Luther King's legacy and never forgot the hardships that shaped his life

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Ireland will not participate in Eurovision if Israel is allowed to take part

Ireland will not participate in Eurovision if Israel is allowed to take part

September 11, 2025
Andy Burnham’s bid to return as MP blocked

Andy Burnham’s bid to return as MP blocked

January 25, 2026
Were it not for the upcoming budget, interest rates could have been cut

Were it not for the upcoming budget, interest rates could have been cut

November 6, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS – AI Curated content

IIHS.NEWS will be firmly committed to the public interest and democratic values.

CATEGORIES

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

BROWSE BY TAG

Blockchain Breaking News Business Entertainment Health Care Insidebitcoins newsbtc Politico Skynews Techcrunch Technology UK US USMagazine Variety World

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.