Related News

Man arrested after more than 600 items stolen from museum

Man arrested after more than 600 items stolen from museum

January 29, 2026
Prince William asked to raise case of detained Manchester man during visit to Saudi Arabia

Prince William asked to raise case of detained Manchester man during visit to Saudi Arabia

February 10, 2026
Ex-Villa chief Purslow among contenders to chair football watchdog

Ex-Villa chief Purslow among contenders to chair football watchdog

March 1, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

Related News

Man arrested after more than 600 items stolen from museum

Man arrested after more than 600 items stolen from museum

January 29, 2026
Prince William asked to raise case of detained Manchester man during visit to Saudi Arabia

Prince William asked to raise case of detained Manchester man during visit to Saudi Arabia

February 10, 2026
Ex-Villa chief Purslow among contenders to chair football watchdog

Ex-Villa chief Purslow among contenders to chair football watchdog

March 1, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
CONTRIBUTE
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
No Result
View All Result
Home Technology

NASA astronauts were ‘stranded’ in space by life-threatening mishap, report finds

Sarah Taylor by Sarah Taylor
February 20, 2026
in Technology
0
NASA astronauts were ‘stranded’ in space by life-threatening  mishap, report finds
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams, the two NASA astronauts “stranded” in space, came close to catastrophe because their spacecraft wasn’t ready to fly, according to a scathing report by the space agency.

You might also like

Trump orders release of US government files on aliens

‘There’s a new definition of NIMBY: Next, it might be you’

Universal vaccine for cold, flu, COVID and allergies ‘moves a step closer’

The investigation classed the incident as a life-threatening “Type A mishap”, putting it on a par with the two fatal Space Shuttle disasters in 1986 and 2003.

It comes as NASA prepares to launch four astronauts on a mission to loop around the moon on a rocket that has flown only once before, without humans on board.

One senior NASA official said of the Starliner incident: “We almost did have a really terrible day.”

The Boeing-built Starliner capsule was on its first crewed test flight to the International Space Station in June 2024 when its thrusters failed, leaving it dangerously out of control.

Mr Wilmore and Ms Williams managed to restart the propulsion system and manually dock with the ISS.

But Jared Isaacman, the new NASA chief, told a news conference: “Had different decisions been made, had thrusters not been recovered, or had docking been unsuccessful, the outcome of this mission could have been very, very different.”

Boeing knew part in deadly UPS plane crash had failed before, report says

Boeing workers reject latest offer as company says it’s losing tens of millions every day

Boeing to cut 17,000 jobs amid worker strike and financial losses

The two astronauts had been due to spend 10 days on the ISS, but their stay was extended to nine months while NASA assessed the problem.

The capsule was eventually brought back to Earth without the two astronauts, but the new report reveals there were still issues with the thrusters during re-entry.

The Boeing Starliner had faced technical challenges throughout its development, including the use of flammable tape on electrical systems and a failure with the parachute system.

The report said the hardware failures were compounded by leadership mistakes and a cultural breakdown between Boeing and NASA.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

Mr Isaacman said the capsule wasn’t ready for a crewed flight.

Boeing says it has driven “significant cultural changes” and made “substantial progress” on corrective actions for technical challenges since the incident.

Amit Kshatriya, another senior NASA official, said: “”This was a really challenging event in our recent history.

“We almost did have a really terrible day.”

NASA initially failed to classify the loss of propulsion as a type A mishap, even though it met the criteria because it was a “departure from controlled flight.”

The report said agency officials were too focused on getting an operational alternative to the Space X capsule that it relied on to shuttle crew to the ISS.

NASA said it led to a risk that was inconsistent with its human spaceflight safety standards.

“The record is now being corrected,” said Mr Isaacman.

Read more from Sky News:
Sky News gains rare access to Bank of England’s gold vaults
UK has not agreed to let US strike Iran from British bases

NASA and Boeing are still trying to work out why the thrusters failed and the Starliner won’t fly again until the problem has been resolved.

Mr Wilmore and Ms Williams have since retired from the agency.

NASA is about to launch a crew on the first mission to loop around the moon in more than 50 years.

The new SLS mega-rocket and Orion crew capsule have had a series of problems, including leaks of explosive hydrogen propellant during fuelling and issues with the spacecraft’s heatshield.

A countdown rehearsal last month was stopped early because hydrogen leaked from a seal between the filling hose and the rocket.

Engineers replaced the seal and another countdown test on Thursday night proved successful.

NASA says the heatshield has also been upgraded.

The first possible launch date for the Artemis mission is 6 March.

But NASA has said the crew will only launch when it’s confident the rocket is ready.

Read Entire Article
Tags: SkynewsTechnology
Share30Tweet19
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

Recommended For You

Trump orders release of US government files on aliens

by Sarah Taylor
February 20, 2026
0
Trump orders release of US government files on aliens

Donald Trump has said he will direct the Pentagon and other US agencies to release "government files related to alien and extraterrestrial life".

Read more

‘There’s a new definition of NIMBY: Next, it might be you’

by Sarah Taylor
February 20, 2026
0
‘There’s a new definition of NIMBY: Next, it might be you’

"An ineffective form of renewable energy… carpet-bombing the countryside… irreversible damage."

Read more

Universal vaccine for cold, flu, COVID and allergies ‘moves a step closer’

by Sarah Taylor
February 19, 2026
0
Universal vaccine for cold, flu, COVID and allergies ‘moves a step closer’

A universal vaccine for humans against cold, flu, COVID and allergies has moved a significant step closer following a study using mice, scientists say.

Read more

Bill Gates withdraws from Indian AI Impact Summit

by Sarah Taylor
February 19, 2026
0
Bill Gates withdraws from Indian AI Impact Summit

The Indian AI Impact Summit was meant to demonstrate that the country is a serious player in AI and serve as its showcase.

Read more

Block it out: Tetris can help tackle memories of past trauma

by Sarah Taylor
February 19, 2026
0
Block it out: Tetris can help tackle memories of past trauma

Playing Tetris could help tackle memories of past trauma, research has found.

Read more
Next Post
Climber found guilty after girlfriend froze to death on mountain

Climber found guilty after girlfriend froze to death on mountain

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Man arrested after more than 600 items stolen from museum

Man arrested after more than 600 items stolen from museum

January 29, 2026
Prince William asked to raise case of detained Manchester man during visit to Saudi Arabia

Prince William asked to raise case of detained Manchester man during visit to Saudi Arabia

February 10, 2026
Ex-Villa chief Purslow among contenders to chair football watchdog

Ex-Villa chief Purslow among contenders to chair football watchdog

March 1, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS – AI Curated content

IIHS.NEWS will be firmly committed to the public interest and democratic values.

CATEGORIES

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

BROWSE BY TAG

Blockchain Breaking News Business Entertainment Health Care Insidebitcoins newsbtc Politico Skynews Techcrunch Technology UK US USMagazine Variety World

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.