Related News

Dozens dead as ‘unprecedented’ Hurricane Melissa rips through Caribbean

Dozens dead as ‘unprecedented’ Hurricane Melissa rips through Caribbean

October 30, 2025
Putin is playing the victim to get the US back onside

Putin is playing the victim to get the US back onside

June 5, 2025
Starmer addresses G20 summit – but Trump boycotts talks

Starmer addresses G20 summit – but Trump boycotts talks

November 22, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

Related News

Dozens dead as ‘unprecedented’ Hurricane Melissa rips through Caribbean

Dozens dead as ‘unprecedented’ Hurricane Melissa rips through Caribbean

October 30, 2025
Putin is playing the victim to get the US back onside

Putin is playing the victim to get the US back onside

June 5, 2025
Starmer addresses G20 summit – but Trump boycotts talks

Starmer addresses G20 summit – but Trump boycotts talks

November 22, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
CONTRIBUTE
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Asylum seekers to be banned from using taxis for medical appointments

Sarah Taylor by Sarah Taylor
November 29, 2025
in Breaking News, UK News, World
0
Asylum seekers to be banned from using taxis for medical appointments
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A ban on asylum seekers using taxis for most medical journeys has been announced by Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood.

You might also like

Man from Afghanistan charged with three sexual assaults in Southampton

Nearly 250 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides in Indonesia

‘Women are afraid to get pregnant’: Fighting mercury poisoning from illegal gold mining

Under the new rules, taxi use for medical travel will be restricted to “exceptional” cases such as physical disability, pregnancy or serious illness – and these will require government approval.

Ms Mahmood made the announcement after a BBC investigation found “widespread” use of taxis by asylum seekers, including for long journeys – with one case involving a 250-mile trip to see a GP.

Transport for asylum seekers has cost the government an average of almost £16m a year, according to reports.

All service providers will be required to stop using taxis for medical journeys from February next year and the government is now working to help introduce alternatives such as public transport.

“This government inherited Conservative contracts that are wasting billions of taxpayers’ hard-earned cash,” the home secretary said.

“I am ending the unrestricted use of taxis by asylum seekers for hospital appointments, authorising them only in the most exceptional circumstances.

“I will continue to root out waste as we close every single asylum hotel.”

Taxi drivers said the system was open to “abuse”, accusing sub-contractors of inflating mileage, for instance by dispatching drivers over long distances to perform much shorter journeys.

One told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme he had been dispatched from Gatwick to take an asylum seeker more than 50 miles away in Reading to an appointment only 1.5 miles from his hotel. A second driver was reportedly sent from Heathrow, about 30 miles away, to bring the same man back from the appointment.

The policy change comes after a Home Office review of transport arrangements for asylum seekers, it is understood.

Asylum system overhaul

It comes after a raft of measures to overhaul the asylum system was set out by Ms Mahmood earlier in November.

In an interview with Sky News’ political editor Beth Rigby, she admitted the UK’s illegal immigrant numbers were “too high” – but said Reform UK leader Nigel Farage could “sod off” after he claimed she sounded like a Reform supporter.

Read more:
Britain’s immigration system changes explained
How the UK and Denmark’s immigration policies compare
Analysis: The new hard woman of British politics

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The “restoring order and control” plan includes:

• The removal of more families with children – either voluntarily through cash incentives up to £3,000, or by force;
• Quadrupling the time successful asylum seekers must wait to claim permanent residency, from five to 20 years;
• Removing the legal obligation to provide financial support for those who have the right to work but choose not to;
• Setting up a new appeals body to significantly speed up the time it takes to decide whether to refuse an application;
• Reforming how the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) is interpreted in immigration cases;
• Banning visas for countries refusing to accept deportees;
• The establishment of new safe and legal refugee routes.

Feel the heat of the frontline with Alex Crawford, Stuart Ramsay and their teams as they take you to some of the world's Hotspots

The home secretary told MPs it is an “uncomfortable truth” that Britain’s generous asylum offer, compared with other European countries, is attracting people to the UK – and for British taxpayers the system “feels out of control and unfair”.

However, the wide-ranging reforms have drawn criticism from Labour backbenchers.

Nadia Whittome MP called Ms Mahmood’s plans “dystopian” and “shameful”, while Richard Burgon MP said she should change course rather than be forced into a U-turn later.

So far this year, some 39,292 people have made the journey across the Channel, already more than last year’s numbers, but still below the total for the record year of 2022.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsUK
Share30Tweet19
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

Recommended For You

Man from Afghanistan charged with three sexual assaults in Southampton

by Sarah Taylor
November 29, 2025
0
Man from Afghanistan charged with three sexual assaults in Southampton

A man from Afghanistan has been charged with sexually assaulting three women in Southampton, as well as entering the UK illegally.

Read more

Nearly 250 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides in Indonesia

by Sarah Taylor
November 29, 2025
0
Nearly 250 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides in Indonesia

At least 248 people have now died and more than 100 people are missing following floods and landslides in Indonesia, which has also been hit by an earthquake.

Read more

‘Women are afraid to get pregnant’: Fighting mercury poisoning from illegal gold mining

by Sarah Taylor
November 29, 2025
0
‘Women are afraid to get pregnant’: Fighting mercury poisoning from illegal gold mining

"Many women end up losing their children," says Alessandra Korap, a community leader of the Munduruku people from the Brazilian Amazon.

Read more

‘If I put the practice in, I probably could get better’ – Luke Littler reflects on his rise to fame

by Sarah Taylor
November 29, 2025
0
‘If I put the practice in, I probably could get better’ – Luke Littler reflects on his rise to fame

If Luke Littler was going to Ally Pally to watch the World Darts Championships this Christmas instead of being the world champion, he'd dress up as Nintendo's Mario...

Read more

Corbyn declines to call Sultana a friend as Your Party holds first conference

by Sarah Taylor
November 29, 2025
0
Corbyn declines to call Sultana a friend as Your Party holds first conference

Jeremy Corbyn has declined to say his Your Party co-founder Zarah Sultana is a friend as supporters of the new grouping gather in Liverpool.

Read more
Next Post
Ministers line up bankers to review options for UK steel industry

Ministers line up bankers to review options for UK steel industry

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Dozens dead as ‘unprecedented’ Hurricane Melissa rips through Caribbean

Dozens dead as ‘unprecedented’ Hurricane Melissa rips through Caribbean

October 30, 2025
Putin is playing the victim to get the US back onside

Putin is playing the victim to get the US back onside

June 5, 2025
Starmer addresses G20 summit – but Trump boycotts talks

Starmer addresses G20 summit – but Trump boycotts talks

November 22, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS – AI Curated content

IIHS.NEWS will be firmly committed to the public interest and democratic values.

CATEGORIES

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

BROWSE BY TAG

Blockchain Breaking News Business Entertainment Health Care Insidebitcoins newsbtc Politico Skynews Techcrunch Technology UK US USMagazine Variety World

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.