Related News

Parents of baby who died minutes after being born call for independent investigation into NHS trust

Parents of baby who died minutes after being born call for independent investigation into NHS trust

February 13, 2025
Two teens charged with murder of 38-year-old father-of-one

Two teens charged with murder of 38-year-old father-of-one

July 3, 2025
‘Our school is destroyed’: At the scene of mosque hit by an Indian missile strike

‘Our school is destroyed’: At the scene of mosque hit by an Indian missile strike

May 15, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

Related News

Parents of baby who died minutes after being born call for independent investigation into NHS trust

Parents of baby who died minutes after being born call for independent investigation into NHS trust

February 13, 2025
Two teens charged with murder of 38-year-old father-of-one

Two teens charged with murder of 38-year-old father-of-one

July 3, 2025
‘Our school is destroyed’: At the scene of mosque hit by an Indian missile strike

‘Our school is destroyed’: At the scene of mosque hit by an Indian missile strike

May 15, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
CONTRIBUTE
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto
No Result
View All Result
IIHS NEWS - AI Curated content
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

Starmer refuses to say whether ‘genocide’ is taking place in Gaza

Sarah Taylor by Sarah Taylor
May 19, 2025
in Breaking News, World
0
Starmer refuses to say whether ‘genocide’ is taking place in Gaza
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Sir Keir Starmer has refused to say whether Israel is committing genocide in Gaza following warnings from a top UN official.

You might also like

Women’s marathon world record-holder suspended after positive doping test

Sixty-one dead and others missing after Iraq shopping centre fire

Diane Abbott suspended from Labour Party

Tom Fletcher, head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, warned the body’s security council last week that it must “act now” to “prevent genocide” – a claim that Israel has vehemently denied.

He also accused Israel of “deliberately and unashamedly” imposing inhumane conditions on Palestinians by blocking aid from entering Gaza more than 10 weeks ago.

Politics latest: Starmer says EU deal a ‘win-win’

On Monday, following pressure from some of its allies, Israel agreed to allow limited deliveries to resume.

The decision means 20 aid trucks carrying mostly food will enter Gaza following a three-month blockade that prompted multiple warnings of starvation and famine in the Palestinian territory.

Under the Genocide Convention, genocide refers to acts committed with the “intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group”.

Israel to allow ‘basic quantity of food’ into Gaza, after allies apply pressure on Benjamin Netanyahu

Gaza at mercy of what comes next as Israel ramps up brutal offensive

British surgeon working in Gaza says it is now ‘a slaughterhouse’ amid Israeli bombardment

It can include killing members of the group, causing serious bodily or mental harm, and inflicting conditions that bring about its physical destruction.

Israel has repeatedly denied accusations of genocide, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu branding a recent UN report on the issue biased and antisemitic.

“Instead of focusing on the crimes against humanity and war crimes committed by the Hamas terrorist organisation… the United Nations once again chooses to attack the state of Israel with false accusations,” he said in a statement.

Asked by Sky News’ political editor Beth Rigby whether he believed a genocide was taking place in Gaza, Sir Keir Starmer did not directly answer.

Instead the prime minister said there was a “really serious, unacceptable, intolerable situation” unfolding in the territory.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sir Keir’s words were echoed by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, who was speaking alongside the PM at a news conference in London to mark the new UK-EU trade deal.

She also said the humanitarian situation in Gaza was “unacceptable” as she urged for the blockade on Gaza to be “lifted now”.

In a video statement posted to social media on Monday, Mr Netanyahu said he was allowing limited aid into Gaza because Israel’s “greatest friends in the world” – whom he did not specify – had threatened to withdraw support for his country.

Follow our channel and never miss an update

He said a “starvation crisis” would jeopardise Israel’s new offensive against Hamas in Gaza, and a “basic” amount of food would be allowed in.

At the same time, Israel has ramped up its offensive in Gaza after Mr Netanyahu announced plans to seize all of the territory and hold it indefinitely.

Read more:
How Israel has escalated Gaza bombing campaign
Gaza at mercy of what comes next as Israel ramps up brutal offensive

Israeli officials have said the plan – which would move Gaza’s civilian population southward – will help it achieve its aim of defeating Hamas after the group’s attack on 7 October 2023 which saw 1,200 people killed and about 250 taken hostage.

Israel also believes the offensive will prevent Hamas from looting and distributing humanitarian aid, which it says strengthens the group’s rule in Gaza.

Be the first to get Breaking News

Install the Sky News app for free

The UN has rejected the plan – which it said would mean aid is distributed in hubs – saying it was “in contravention of globally-established humanitarian principles” and raised the chance of aid “not getting through to the most vulnerable people”.

On Monday, the Israeli military issued an evacuation order for residents of Gaza’s second-largest city, Khan Younis, and nearby towns, warning that the entire area “will be considered a dangerous combat zone”.

Gaza’s health ministry says more than 53,000 people have died in Israel’s 19-month campaign, although it does not distinguish between civilians and militants. It reported 464 people had died in Israeli military strikes in the week to Sunday.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Breaking NewsSkynewsWorld
Share30Tweet19
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

Recommended For You

Women’s marathon world record-holder suspended after positive doping test

by Sarah Taylor
July 17, 2025
0
Women’s marathon world record-holder suspended after positive doping test

Women's marathon world record-holder Ruth Chepngetich has been provisionally suspended after a positive doping test.

Read more

Sixty-one dead and others missing after Iraq shopping centre fire

by Sarah Taylor
July 17, 2025
0
Sixty-one dead and others missing after Iraq shopping centre fire

Sixty-one people have died in a fire at a shopping centre in the eastern Iraq city of Kut.

Read more

Syria’s president vows to protect Druze after Israel airstrikes

by Sarah Taylor
July 17, 2025
0
Syria’s president vows to protect Druze after Israel airstrikes

Syria's president has said protecting the rights of the Druze population is "our priority" after Israel warned it would destroy forces attacking the minority.

Read more

Diane Abbott suspended from Labour Party

by Sarah Taylor
July 17, 2025
0
Diane Abbott suspended from Labour Party

Diane Abbott has been suspended from the Labour Party pending an investigation.

Read more

Pope ‘deeply saddened’ by deaths at sole Catholic church in Gaza after Israeli strike

by Sarah Taylor
July 17, 2025
0
Pope ‘deeply saddened’ by deaths at sole Catholic church in Gaza after Israeli strike

The Pope has said he is "deeply saddened" by the deaths of three people in an Israeli strike on the only Catholic church in Gaza.

Read more
Next Post
Third man arrested over fires at properties linked to Starmer

Third man arrested over fires at properties linked to Starmer

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Parents of baby who died minutes after being born call for independent investigation into NHS trust

Parents of baby who died minutes after being born call for independent investigation into NHS trust

February 13, 2025
Two teens charged with murder of 38-year-old father-of-one

Two teens charged with murder of 38-year-old father-of-one

July 3, 2025
‘Our school is destroyed’: At the scene of mosque hit by an Indian missile strike

‘Our school is destroyed’: At the scene of mosque hit by an Indian missile strike

May 15, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World
IIHS NEWS – AI Curated content

IIHS.NEWS will be firmly committed to the public interest and democratic values.

CATEGORIES

  • Blockchain
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Crypto Market
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Entertainment
  • Health Care
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • UK News
  • US News
  • World

BROWSE BY TAG

Blockchain Breaking News Business Entertainment Health Care Insidebitcoins newsbtc Politico Skynews Techcrunch Technology UK US USMagazine Variety World

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • UK News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • US News
  • World
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Health Care
  • Crypto

© 2025 iihs.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.